Skip to main navigation.

What to do when the power goes out

Call us at 800-927-5254.

If the power goes off in your house, check if a fuse has been blown or a breaker has been tripped. If any of the lights in your home are still working, the trouble may be in your own system. Replace the blown fuse or reset the breaker as needed. If all the lights are off, check the main breaker which is usually located just below the meter. If the main breaker is tripped, you can reset it. It also signals that there is something wrong on your side of the meter.

An after hours service fee of $100 will be charged for a service call requested after regular business hours if it is determined the problem is with the member's equipment. Once a crew has been dispatched after hours, fees may apply.

If you don't find a problem or these steps do not restore your lights, then you need to call us. Before you call, check to see if your neighbors have power. This will help us determine how widespread the outage is. Call us at 800-927-5254, our 24 hours a day, 365 days a year outage number.

WHEN YOU REPORT AN OUTAGE be prepared to provide the following information:

  • Name.
  • 911 address of outage.
  • City location of outage.
  • Service type - electric or gas.
  • Return phone numbe.r
  • Did you check both the inside and outside breakers?
  • Do you know if any of your neighbors are out?
  • Give any additional information that may help our crews restore power in a timely manner. This includes reporting if you know what caused the outage such as a car hit a pole or a tree limb fell on a line or if you see any downed poles or wires.

Any information you can provide about an outage is appreciated and helps our crews determine the source of the problem more quickly.

  • Stay safe! After a severe storm, broken power lines may land on the ground or in roadways. Stay away from all fallen power lines and report them to your co-op. Electricity could still be flowing through the lines. NEVER touch anything, or anyone, that is touching an electric wire. Get help right away.

  • If an outage lasts longer than two hours, start thinking about perishable food.

  • Throw away food that's been exposed to temperatures above 40 F for two hours or more.

  • An unopened refrigerator keeps food cold for about four hours, while food in a full freezer stays safe for about 48 hours.

  • If using a portable generator, connect equipment you want to power directly into outlets on the generator with a properly rated extension cord or have a licensed electrician install the equipment necessary to safely connect emergency generators. Otherwise, lineworkers' lives could be put in danger from the generator's power backfeeding onto electric lines.

  • Never operate a generator inside your home - there's a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

 

Powered by Touchstone Energy Cooperatives Logo