Small steps for savings
As temperatures rise, so does the demand for electricity. The goal of the Summer Shift program is to shift nonessential electricity use to before 11 a.m. or after 7 p.m. June through August. These are times when electricity use is not at its peak and not as expensive.
If a member shifts their electricity use, they may not necessarily save energy. They could use the same amount of electricity, but at a different time of the day. That is still beneficial because it means the cooperative's wholesale power providers -- including Dairyland Power Cooperative -- did not have to purchase as much power when electricity costs are more expensive. When the cooperative saves, so do members.
The price of electricity purchased on the grid is always changing, based on the need for electricity balanced with available generation resources. As need -- or demand -- rises during the day, the price of electricity increases a more generation resources (power plants, solar arrays, etc.) are needed to power homes, businesses and other building or devices. When temperatures cool and things quiet down for the night, electricity demand drops as do prices for electricity.
When a member chooses to shift their electricity use, it helps spread out electricity use throughout the day. The less electricity cooperative members use when prices are at their highest, the more stable JCE can keep our retail rates. The more members who choose to participate, the more impactful these savings become.
Tips to do the Summer Shift
- Set your thermostat to 78 degrees (or a level that is comfortable for the home, but a few degrees higher than normal).
- Closing curtains and shades will help the home feel cooler, longer.
- A ceiling fan or table fan throughout the afternoon will help circulate air.
- Set up a schedule for your smart thermostat and smart lighting options, ensuring a minimal amount of energy is used between 11 a.m. and 7 p.m.
- Charge electric vehicles overnight.
- Set the water heater to 120 degrees.
- Wash dishes in and ENERGY STAR dishwasher instead of by hand.
- Open the dishwasher after the wash cycle to let the dishes air dry.